24 “Japanese Historical Cameras” of 1998 Named
The Historical Camera Committee (Chairperson : Ms. MORIYAMA, Mayumi), a review group established within the JCII Foundation, has chosen the 24 cameras listed below as its “Japanese Historical Cameras” of 1998.
Film Cameras (13 Models)
- Minolta VECTIS 300
- Combination of fine construction and stainless steel body result in pleasant appearance.
- Canon IXY 330 (ELPH 370Z)
- Employs light guide flash, born of same technology on which light fiber is based, enabling even distribution of light.
- Minolta Alpha-Sweet
- Achieved popularity among consumers thanks to its fresh design.
- FujiFilm GA645Zi Professional
- Features 55~90mm f/4.5~6.9 1.6x zoom lens, automatic pressure plate switching based on barcode system, lens cap sensor.
- Ricoh GR-1s
- Compact camera featuring filter and hood compatibility.
- Pentax ESPIO 200
- First compact camera offering telephoto lens with zoom-in capability up to 200mm.
- FujiFilm EPION 1000MRC (Endeavor 1000IX)
- Affordable compact Advanced Photo SystemTM camera with titanium(Ti) body.
- FujiFilm TX-1
- Panorama optical rangefinder camera with interchangeable lens ; switchable between standard 35mm (24x36mm) and full-panorama 35mm (24x65mm) picture.
- Nikon PRONEA S
- Small, uniquely designed Advanced Photo SystemTM SLR camera
- Olympus i Zoom 75
- Offers newly developed mechanisms like the unique linear clutch, shaft drive, 4-step mirror frames, and more which enable significant downsizing.
- Canon EOS-3
- 45-spot AF is built in.
- Minolta Alpha-9
- Features built-in electro-flash on the pentagonal area of the 100% view ratio viewfinder.
- Nikon F100
- An extension of the Nikon F5 ; provides nice balance of features ; achieved great popularity among consumers.
Digital Cameras (11 Models)
- FujiFilm FinePix 700 (MX-700)
- Small, lightweight, affordably priced mega-pixel CCD digital camera.
- FujiFilm Big Job DS-250HD
- Waterproof, dustproof digital camera (JIS Protection Class 7).
- Canon EOS D2000
- First high-end digital SLR camera to offer an LCD monitor.
- Nikon COOLPIX 900 (E900)
- Stresses optical performance ; achieved market popularity
- Konica DG-1
- Small, lightweight digital camera that is waterproof and dustproof (JIS Protection Class 7).
- Olympus CAMEDIA C-1400XL
- Popular mega-pixel CCD model with 5-frame consecutive shooting capability.
- Sony CyberShot Pro DSC-D700
- Digital SLR priced at 235,000 japanese yen (excluding tax) ; features 1.5 million pixels CCD, built-in 5x zoom lens; shutter speed, aperture, focus can be set automatically or manually.
- Minolta Dimage EX Zoom 1500
- Highlighted by lens interchangeability, with 3x zoom lens unit.
- Sony Mavica MVC-FD91
- 14 x optical zoom lens with “Optical Steady Shot” feature.
- Kyocera SAMURAI 1300DG
- Successor to the vertical form of the “Samurai Series” film cameras, features a unique design.
- Canon PowerShot Pro70
- Accommodates 2 CompactFlashTM cards; employs 1.68 million pixel 1/2-inch CCD sensor.